Ready for change?
Great news yesterday: Our proposal for capital improvements in the area between the playground and basketball courts has been selected for implementation!
The plan repairs a key area in our big neighborhood park while leaving the current design intact. It will fix broken pathways between the playground and basketball courts, replace degraded turf while modernizing irrigation and drainage, and place small-stature, moisture-loving native plants in a small area. It will also build a seating wall positioned close to the basketball courts, and installs bike racks. To protect the area from harmful impact of heavy vehicles, it re-routes service vehicles to get them in and out of the park more sensibly. And it builds a walkable wood-chip path to improve access to the Kevin Collins Children's Garden surrounding the playground.
Project overview. Drawing by Holly Kuljian
- park outreach to let even more park users know about the project
- visit neighborhood associations and tell them about the project
- become acquainted with the work team and document the project through photos and videos
- organize the day when neighbors will take part in planting as part of our volunteer match
- learn more about the plants chosen and lead tours of the project
- organize a park celebration - before and after project
- propose creative reuses for any materials being removed from the park
- make a financial contribution to help us reach our match
We'll need lots of help to make these things happen. Looking forward to working with you on this in 2011!